Cannes 2011 - Lars Von Trier v/s 'Cannes'

Maverick film-maker Lars Von Trier created a controversy when he was banned from the Cannes Film Festival. His enforced exit was interesting for the very same festival once feted him with its top prize.

The reason for his exit was his joke in a press conference that he sympathized with Hitler.


Trier said, "I am sorry for my own sake and I am sorry if I have hurt anyone, that was not my intention at all. It was completely and absolutely stupid."

In spite of Von Trier's exit his film, Melancholia, still remains in competition for the Palme D'Or. The quirky director blamed himself for the fiasco, "I blame myself, because you can say words in press conferences which can be taken out of context."

A day after he made the comments, Cannes organizers declared him "persona non grata" at the festival. Should his film win this year, Trier will not be allowed to pick up his prize personally. However, Trier is hoping, festival bosses might overturn their decision, "It's pretty much up to the festival. I accept it," he said.


Von Trier is no stranger to controversy. His previous feature film AntiChrist caused much furore in Cannes in 2009 for its explicit scenes of violence and genital mutilations. The director's repartee on the whole controversy, "My own crazy family would actually be very proud that I was 'persona non grata', not just in Cannes, but anywhere in the world."